Give me space. Stop shining

minime28

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Lucky friday!

The day of my driving test. 3rd time lucky?

It started off badly. I had a pre-test refresher circuit training, and i was so nervous i forgot the technique for reverse parking. I reversed into the darn kerb twice and finally succeeded after some corrections by the instructor. Sadly that was my last chance to practise as the hour's session was almost up. Moving off from the parallel parking slot, i failed to notice a testee whom just overtook the stationary car behind me and my instructor had to pull the handbrake. My instructor told me as the testee failed to stop in time, he got an immediate failure. I hope his tester is lenient!

I drove a few rounds around the ubi area before reporting to the testee's room, which was already half full. Then a guy with a bandaged left leg on clutches stepped in, and the image of a bandaged leg attempting half clutch formed in my mind lol. Turns out the guy is having his theory here, probably because this room is on the ground floor and he can't climb to the theory test room on the 2nd floor.

A tester stepped in and briefed us on the test. The same guy who FAILED me on my second attempt. I felt the car vibrate during the crank course and he said "hit the kerb huh". I thought thats it i mounted the kerb and only when i review the score sheet later i learn the car only striked the kerb. Anyway his remark ruined my test as i thought i got an immediate failure and went thru the test in a daze. Well good luck to his next victim.

The room emptied as names were called, leaving the hobbled guy and me in the room. Finally my name was called and it's off to the car. I made a show of fidgeting with the rear mirror and checking the side mirrors for the benefit of the tester, and off we go.

I slipped a little at the slope and release the clutch too fast when approaching directional change station. Mr tester did not have seat belt on and he jerk forward. I hope he's not too pissed! Anyway i completed the station without incident, turning the wheel when I see the marking on the kerb. I wonder who made the markings, school or private instructors lol.

Moving on to the S course i saw the testee in front with front wheel up on the kerb. I completed both the S and crank course, AND the reverse parking station without incident. Whew! Time for the last station, parallel parking. Mr tester stepped out of the car to the side and look. I wonder is it compulsory for testers to do that, or is he expecting me to hit the kerb?

The car couldn't reverse into the lot as there was a gradual slope from the road. I release the clutch more and moved in. Then the car stalled with a shudder. Did i hit the kerb? Or was it the clutch? Took a deep breath, shift to neutral, restarted the engine and continue reversing. I felt no impact and parked into position. Now i dare to hope, it must be just a stalled engine. No comments from Mr tester so i took it as a good sign.

With the circuit completed, onto the road test. Hmm no e-brake test, not that i mind though. Changing lanes, safe braking distance, turning at junction, so far so good. Before filtering into the main road from a side road, I looked right and see a car approaching slowly a distance away. I checked my blind spot and move out. Then Mr tester turned on me saying, that car on the hazard lights to warn you but still you move out slowly. It has to change lane to evade you!

Returning to the test centre and walking up the stairs, I wonder if that last mistake was an immediate failure? Darn why can't that guy just slow down a little instead of speeding up and turning on the hazard lights! We walked to the de-brief room and again I was reprimanded on my failure to spot the accelerating car. I told him honestly i did not notice when did the hazard lights came on. He took out the test booklet and make a few ticks. Turned the last page with the Failed and Passed tickbox, and he tick Passed. YES!!!!! I thanked him and went for the road safety video viewing.

We were shown some fairly spectacular crash sequences captured on the highway surveillance cams. Pretty somber video really, I thought some of the clips should be shown on Crime watch to increase public awareness on road safety hazards.

After the video, I went to the TP counter and paid $50 for a piece of paper that will serve as a driving license, until the real thing is delivered to me. Paid $150 to the instructor for the training and car rental. I felt a little numb the rest of the day, probably from the adrenaline rush and also disbelief that finally i passed. No more rushing for lessons after work. and i can get some toys for myself with the money that would normally go to fees :)

I got 16 points, 8 for that filtering incident and the rest some minor mistakes. Looking back i feel during tests luck plays a bigger role than driving skills. The weather, traffic conditions and the goodwill of fellow commuters. Compared to the previous 2, this tester gave in advance clear and concise instructions on the next move. He was very helpful in clearing traffic for me to advance in the circuit.

Well thats 3rd time lucky i guess!

0 Comments:

Add a comment

Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »