Give me space. Stop shining

minime28

Saturday, April 02, 2005

april's fool day



Normal day in the office, only the students playing some kiddy planks on one another. My project is not progressing well and looking at the situation i think it's going to end up a disaster. And as usual people around me ask me to help them with this and that and so i can't work on my own project. sigh i really must learn how to say N + O = NO!

In the afternoon i was setting up a pc for this lady and it got boring, so i make small talk. She is a software programmer and has been working for around 8 years. I remarked how she looks much younger than her age and she became friendlier ^^

We talked about how depressed the IT industry is, with a small market and oversupply of IT grads and cheap influx of foreign talents. I have no interest in programming and am so sick of doing IT support, and asked her what skills should i go for to upgrade myself. She gave me some advice.

Certification courses like mcse and j2me have to be renewed on every version upgrade and don't compare to the tangible value of a degree. Go for biz and IT dual degrees, like marketing or accountancy with IT as they offer more value and opportunities. In the IT industry, besides support and programming, there is consultancy, project management and of course sales.

What a drag.

Back then I chose to study IT because i like games and well IT was the IN thing and it sounds more exciting than engineering and biz. How my working life differs from the vision i had in school. Would i have made the same choice if i had a mentor like her to advise me...At times when i am doing yet another meaningless brainless task i wonder what the hell am i doing here... i don't belong here...looking at my career possibilities after ...i still have no answer.

Met up with frens for a vegetarian dinner. It was a nice experience, the food tastes great, and i will come back next time to try other items. Food aside, the atmosphere seems a little quiet compared to the previous outings. I don't know is it because all of us are feeling down, but i hope it's not due to my presence! To add to the solemn mood, we discussed on the senstitive topic of religion and boy was I impressed when K gave a 5 min talk on the role of religion in her life. I also learnt that J is involved in youth work in her prayer cell, and that both of them intends to volunteer as counsellors. I am humbled by their dedication. For me I have no such noble ambitions, i will be happy if they can chillout and relax for a while with the stuff i passed them.

Back home watching national geographic, i notice how similar human and animals are, technological advances aside. You learn and you work and you die. I wonder if religion helps people find a sense of purpose in all this.

They told me to try cucumber slices for treatment, but arrrrgh i can't help but think of salad!

0 Comments:

Add a comment

Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »